Software Defined Radio (SDR) is a communications architecture where maximum system functionality (including modulation and demodulation) is seated in the digital, or software, domain. This approach promises highly flexible communication systems, where a single hardware platform can be reused for many different applications, and system upgrades can be done through a simple software update. Also, the main focus of system design shifts to software, allowing rapid application development and implementation.
The SDR Research Group is a group of postgraduate engineering students of the University of Stellenbosch. The group focuses on the development of a software library for use in SDR-related projects, with an object-oriented architecture to facilitate fast and flexible application design.
Please view our work below, and feel free to Contact Us.
2007-06-27: Have a look at the presentation on the Sumbandila satellite that was held at the Astronomical Society of Southern Africa's meeting on 13 June 2007. SumbandilaSat includes SDR-related experiments and payloads that were developed in our research group.
2006-05-14: The slides of the SDR talk at the Radio Technology in Action seminars held during 2006, is now available for download.
Several projects relating to Software Defined Radio are either underway or have been completed. Summaries are provided by the links below:
- An SDR Architecture for a DSP Platform (Wouter Kriegler)
- Quadrature Imbalance Compensation for SDR (Jaco de Witt)
- Mobile Implementation of SDR (Eugene van Wyk)
The following research topics may be of interest to prospective Masters students:
- A self-compensated quadrature mixing architecture
- A cognitive radio pilot project
- Next-generation microprocessor SDR architecture
- SDR AIS Monitoring System (Kgabo Frans Mathapo)
- A Software Modem using SDR (Matthys Smuts)
- A Cross-Platform Framework for SDR (Richard Brady)
- Scheduling Techniques for SDR (Christiaan Gerber)
- Baseband Compensation Principles for Defects in Quadrature Signal Conversion and Processing (Gert-Jan van Rooyen)
- Automatic Compensation for Inaccuracies in Quadrature Mixers (Christer Stormyrbakken)
- A Hardware Emulator Testbed for Software Defined Radio (Jason Witkowsky)
- Software Architecture Design of a Software Defined Radio System (Johannes J. Cronjé)
- Dynamic Reconfiguration of a Software Defined Radio (Brian D. Holt)
- Digital Audio Broadcasting Implementation in SDR (Petro Ernest Pesha)
- Implementation of an SDH Emulator using SDR (Angus Brandt)
- Development of a Software-Defined Radar Environment Simulator (Anton Joubert)
- DSP Group
- Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- University of Stellenbosch
- SDR Forum
- GNU Radio
Please note that this is the external website for the SDR project. Students and staff should consult the internal wiki for more information.